mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Les Paul Bridge replacement

Post by mrmofo »

first off: I don't mind the sound of the new Gibson bridges, it`s just that I don't like the way they look.
the hollow metal case like structure that holds the saddles annoys the beegezus me, I`m sure they weren't always like that. I remember them being a solid milled steel part back when men were men.
secondly: I may be wrong about that.
Now: have any of you guys replaced the hollow Gibson TOM bridge part for a more substantial unit: if so, what did you use? where did you get it from? and what (if any) difference did it make?
answers on a post card to po box 67-077 mt eden or feel free to post on this thread.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Re: Les Paul Bridge replacement

Post by Lyle »

I replaced the bridge on my Les Paul with a Faber from http://www.tokaiguitar.de/ I got the type that locks into the studs. I also ordered a kit to convert from Nashville to ABR studs, the new studs are a lot longer which I think has added some sustain.

It was definately an improvement on the old bridge, not sure how it compares to other options. The Faber USA website has more details but was out of stock when I ordered mine so I ended up ordering from tokaiguitar.
Last edited by Lyle on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

mrmofo wrote:.. I don't mind the sound of the new Gibson bridges, it`s just that I don't like the way they look..
Even with the saddles in place?

Regardless, if we're talking about ABR's, then I don't think they've changed that much in the last 50 years or so. Cast frame, machined saddles, wire or no wire.

There are two types of new Gibson ABR - those that come on the Historic range (a very good bridge), and those that come on everything else (a very OK bridge). Both sound similar, just the tolerances on the latter aren't as good as the prior.

In terms of after market...yep Faber is good. I have some Faber ABR's for sale if you go down that rabbit hole.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

mrmofo wrote:have any of you guys replaced the hollow Gibson TOM bridge part for a more substantial unit
I've never seen a hollow one ? maybe a photo is in order.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I put gotoh units on all my guitars. Can't beat them for bang for the buck.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

hollow may not be the best way to describe it. I seem to remember a more substantial unit. I`ll looka round for what I mean.

many thanks
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

faceless
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by faceless »

Gotoh and Faber are good replacement, but if you can get Pigtail or Callaham, that would be awesome!