CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

TrooperHarley
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Beginner Acoustic Guitar - Advice?

Post by TrooperHarley »

Can anyone offer me advice on a good beginner acoustic guitar? I am happy to spend ~NZ$300.

I understand that nylon strings are the best for soft-fingered learners - any comment?

Thank you.

Terry

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Re: Beginner Acoustic Guitar - Advice?

Post by hamo »

I was impressed with the playability of the Takamine D21 that was on sale at the Rockshop not long ago for $299.

And I thought your username said Topper Harley.

<hotshots> "Why do they call you fluffy-bunny-feet? Oh..." </hotshots>
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

hamo wrote:I was impressed with the playability of the Takamine D21 that was on sale at the Rockshop not long ago for $299.

And I thought your username said Topper Harley.

<hotshots> "Why do they call you fluffy-bunny-feet? Oh..." </hotshots>
you must be joking..
..no, if I was joking I would have said 'a horse walks into a bar and the barman says "why the long face"'

oh, and any particular reason you want to learn on an acoustic? it's easier (and I found 'less embarrassing' cos I could practice with the volume down until I got it 'right') on an electric.

ymmv.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I think steel string is easier to learn on Nylon string guitars are constantly out of tune

When you do acheive some level of proficiency then you have to start all over again with steel strings as they hurt when you start playing
There are some reasonable guitars in the price range you are looking at second hand even more so If you want to cut your fingers a break put electric strings on a steel string acoustic which will make it easier to play some 10-46 would be good

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by hamo »

nzsimon1 wrote:If you want to cut your fingers
Interesting choice of words. :P :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

no pain no gain :twisted:

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I'm a big fan of Cort guitars in the 'bang for the buck' catagory. Although the quality does seem to have slipped since they moved production to China. But you still might be able to find a Korean one. But even the Chinese ones are still great value for money.

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

Having been a victim of the "learn on a nylon string, they're easier on your fingers" advice I'd say get a steel string acoustic unless you want to play classical guitar. The nylon string guitars generally require more finger/hand strength to play, especially when you get to things like barre chords. Nylon strings are also quite thick and rolly, and the perception that steel strings will cut into your fingers isn't true (it's normally quoted by non-players).

The style(s) you want to play should also be considered. If you like electric styles then, as others have said, get an electric guitar now rather than trying to learn on an acoustic guitar, which may actually end up frustrating your playing attempts by not allowing you to play the tunes you want.

From a physical point of view, electric guitars are the easiest to play, followed by steel string acoustics the nylon strings (assuming correct setup etc) </end blatant generalisation>

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I think it depends on what your ultimate goal is...

If you want to end up playing electric guitar, starting on a wide necked classical is probably going to discourage you and hinder your progress unnecesarily. If your goal is to be a classical player, then a classical nylon string guitar is the right choice.

The whole "you should start on a nylon stringed guitar" line seems to be rolled out by people who want to teach you classical guitar and those who prefer Dove Hand Lotion. There must be hundreds of people out there who wanted to become rock gods but were turned off by nasty cardboard Chinese classical guitars with plank necks, high nuts and sharp frets. There's a commonly held theory that you should start cheap just in case you fail or give up... sounds like a recipe for failure to me. Starting cheap doesn't have to mean a nasty classical these days anyway.

So what is your goal in guitar playing?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

TrooperHarley
Stagg
Stagg

Post by TrooperHarley »

Thank you all for your advice. I do not want to play classical music, nor do I want to play an electric guitar. All I want to do is sit in the privacy of my home and enjoy myself playing contemporary music. I think a steel-stringed acoustic guitar makes the most sense, and I will spend around $300.
So far I have seen Cort, Tanglewood, and Fender guitars in my price range - what is your thoughts on these and any others?
Thanks again.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

I'd stay clear of the Fenders in that price range... Fender only by name. The Cort I own is pretty good though, solid top etc... should do the job :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

+1 on the Cort for a good cheapie acoustic.

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

Yeah, Cort are probably best value for money for the lower end of the price range.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

TrooperHarley wrote: I think a steel-stringed acoustic guitar makes the most sense, and I will spend around $300.
So far I have seen Cort, Tanglewood, and Fender guitars in my price range - what is your thoughts on these and any others?
Whatever brand you go for, two things stand out as being features to aim for;

1. Solid top
2. Sealed machineheads

Solid top as in solid spruce or cedar, not a laminate (plywood) with a spruce veneer on the top. If it really does have a solid top there will be a label or tag somewhere on the guitar or its packaging bragging the fact. Don't simply take the store slave's word for it as some wouldn't know a solid top if they were smashed over the head with one and they will probably use it as an excuse to try and upsell you to a $600 guitar. To be fair, the chances of getting a solid top for $300 are slim and there may be other compromises made elsewhere. But it is a very desirable featre from a tone point of view.

Sealed machineheads (aka tuning keys) tend to be smoother, more reliable, more stable and other good things. Most brands have them, but some in that price range will have nasty pressed steel machineheads with a chrome plated, pressed steel cover held down by two small screws. They are horrible at the best of times, but quickly get worse. Avoid.

Another question that might pop up is whether you need/want a built-in pickup in your acoustic and the cutaway that allows easier access to the upper frets. These two features usually come together and will add around $100 to the price of the guitar in your range. Considering your intended use, I'd suggest skipping these features.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

bluesgeek wrote:I'd stay clear of the Fenders in that price range... Fender only by name.
I'll second that, very disappointing.

The D series Takamine's that the RS had in play quite nice for a cheap acoustic, just don't play one of the higher end Takamines while you're there!

I hesitate to ask, but has anyone here got any comment on the Ashton steel string acoustics? They seem to play and sound alright and the price is good, but they do seem to be the new Samicks in a lot of circles.