Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Review: JHS AT pedal

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I"ve had a little while now with this pedal, hooked up for me by Matt of Tone Lounge (shout out to Matt - yay!)

This is Andy Timmons' signature pedal made by JHS.

As some of you probably already know, I'm a huge Andy Timmons fan. Even down to owning his hard-to-get Ibanez AT100CL, and throwing a couple of his pieces (Electric Gypsy and The Prayer/The Answer) into my band's set lists.

If you don't know who Andy Timmons is, then please delete your account and give your guitar to the Salvation Army.

Anyways, I haven't used much other than the Kemper for years. But recently, I've been having fun with (primarily, but not exclusively) the Ibanez AT100CL into the JHS AT into my Tone King Sky King at medium volume levels. It is lovely!

The pedal captures AT's sound very well. It has a great mid hump which I swear is key to a great sound, especially live. It is fantastically dynamic, which lets you be particularly musical with your pick attack. I've generally found overdrive and distortion pedals a bit MEH - but this one is just great sounding and feeling!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3470 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Re: Review: JHS AT pedal

Post by codedog »

I'm a huge AT fan too, but my budget has only extended to installing his pickup set in my Pacifica 904. Last week, for this first time ever, I finally played (unplugged) his cheaper signature guitar. That's a mighty comfortable neck! However, I was a little disappointed it had the same problem as my Pacifica. The middle pickup stuck up high enough to catch my pick every now and then, especially when I have my palm on my bridge. I hope it could be lowered in the Ibanez. In my Pacifica the cavity was routed for the height of true single coils, so this is as low as it goes.

The mid hump thing is definitely part of his signature sound to my ears. I think these days he uses a Keeley Blues Driver a lot too.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Kiwiaxe wrote: If you don't know who Andy Timmons is, then please delete your account and give your guitar to the Salvation Army.
http://www.opshopdirectory.co.nz/op-sho ... argaville/

Any time between 9am and noon on a Wednesday will be fine :cool:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

codedog wrote:I'm a huge AT fan too, but my budget has only extended to installing his pickup set in my Pacifica 904. Last week, for this first time ever, I finally played (unplugged) his cheaper signature guitar. That's a mighty comfortable neck! However, I was a little disappointed it had the same problem as my Pacifica. The middle pickup stuck up high enough to catch my pick every now and then, especially when I have my palm on my bridge. I hope it could be lowered in the Ibanez. In my Pacifica the cavity was routed for the height of true single coils, so this is as low as it goes.

The mid hump thing is definitely part of his signature sound to my ears. I think these days he uses a Keeley Blues Driver a lot too.
I've played the cheaper version too, its surprisingly good for its level. The Japanese one is a significant step up, but that doesn't mean the premium (or whatever they label it) is in any way an inferior guitar.

I had the same issue with the middle pickup when I put a set of the cruisers into one of my Suhrs. I solved it by lowering the pickup height, but I did find that those pickups are a bit height-sensitive so ended up putting it back up. I ended up learning to have my pick slightly closer to the bridge so I don't even know if the AT100CL I have would otherwise cause that problem.