Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Eminence Private Jack

Post by Basket Case »

So, I ordered one of these from livesound.co.nz to replace one of the V30s in my vertical Recto 2x12 and try to tame some of the harshness and beaminess. I've just installed it as the top speaker and only done about 10 mins playing- so these are definitely first impressions and no doubt the speaker will get better as it breaks in.

1- top notch service from livesound.co.nz. I hadn't heard of them prior to a google search a week or so back. I ordered online and it arrived a couple of working days later. They only charged $8.00 for shipping too.

2- I was anticipating having dramas with the mounting holes not matching the Celestions' but they all lined up perfectly. It only took me about 10 mins to take out the V30 and mount the new speaker.

3- But how does it sound? 'Smooth' was the first word that came to mind. It definitely has a much more pleasant EQ curve going on than the V30. 'Thick' is the next word I would use. Single notes sound really warm. The V30 seems a bit louder despite the slightly lower sensitivity rating; however, that could just be my ears responding to the harsher sound.

Overall, I'm really impressed and pleased I took the punt. I'll give it some more time, do some A/B tests and see how it cuts through in a band setting, but I'm already seriously thinking about getting another one to replace the other V30.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Re: Eminence Private Jack

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Nice.... keep us updated, I may do the same thing.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah it's time I swapped out a bog standard celestion :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

The guy that just bought my C45/Friedman rig sold a 212 with a pair of these Eminence Private Jack's in it. Good quality cab too (Zilla). Nearly bought it myself.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Maybe a Wizard to pair with the private jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo1z_ndTQ3w
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:The guy that just bought my C45/Friedman rig sold a 212 with a pair of these Eminence Private Jack's in it. Good quality cab too (Zilla). Nearly bought it myself.
What did that Zilla cab go for in the end?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:The guy that just bought my C45/Friedman rig sold a 212 with a pair of these Eminence Private Jack's in it. Good quality cab too (Zilla). Nearly bought it myself.
Guessing $700.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Maybe a Wizard to pair with the private jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo1z_ndTQ3w
That much much delay and distortion. Hard to know what the speaker sounds like,
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

chrisbower
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by chrisbower »

Molly wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Guessing $700.
Molly, i sold it to a local guy in Dunedin for $800. I do miss it dearly. Not complaining about the Friedman cab though. This Blankenship rig sounds epic!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Basket Case wrote:
Overall, I'm really impressed and pleased I took the punt. I'll give it some more time, do some A/B tests and see how it cuts through in a band setting, but I'm already seriously thinking about getting another one to replace the other V30.
Still happy with it? Did you order another one ?

I'm seriously thinking of going down this route too as finding a nice 1x12 seems to be difficult.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

sizzlingbadger wrote:
Basket Case wrote:
Still happy with it? Did you order another one ?

I'm seriously thinking of going down this route too as finding a nice 1x12 seems to be difficult.
Yeah, still liking it but haven't got a second one. I need to find the time to modify the input on the cab so I can A/B them.