Album of 2016 • Marillion: F.E.A.R.

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Album of 2016 • Marillion: F.E.A.R.

Post by Mini Forklift »

Well they did what I didn't think was possible: Produce yet another album that tops everything that has came before it. Full review to come after I've given it a few more listens...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... prog-album

Basic crux of the album is five songs. 68 minutes and numerous goosebump moments, Steve Rothery has for the most part abandoned his epic soloing in favour of tasteful guitar-work that for the most part sits perfectly in this albums ever changing sonic landscape. There's plenty of leslie/tremolo laden guitar and when the solos crop up they fall in the Gilmour ballpark of phrasing and tone.

With regards to the other band members, to me it appears like Mark Kelly's keys have been given a nudge forward. There's some lovely strings and piano moments that whilst not overly technical, they just give that extra something to each song that make it that little bit more special. Trewavas holds down the bass as only he can, while Hogarth's voice is haunting, rocking and falsetto... sometimes all in the space of the same song. The drums sit well in the mix and Mosley is faultless throughout, economical but never boring.

No doubt this album is going to fall squarely in the 'prog' category, but IMO this is musically one of their most accessible albums. If the music can get out there it definitely has the chance to appeal to many different people, regardless of the type of music they would normally listen to. Well worth a listen or five :thumbup:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Album of 2016 • Marillion: F.E.A.R.

Post by olegmcnoleg »

This! It is right up there with Marbles.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1340 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Post by GrantB »

Hmm, as an original Marillion fan I'm not sure I can do their newer stuff...but seeing how you're all glowing n shyte I'll give it another go. Steve R helped me secure my determination to vibrato at the top of bends etc - Sugar Mice solo mainly.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

everytime I hear the name marillion I can't help but think of this guy
57d89e436e23164759c0f0914508590b.jpg
57d89e436e23164759c0f0914508590b.jpg (13.49 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I always think of this...

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I listen to absolutely tons of early Fish era Marillion while I'm working, and while I liked Seasons End I've never quite gelled with the newer stuff. However for some bizarre reason I pledged for Vinyl and CD on this one (think I may even have my name in the credits for some odd reason, must have been a good package deal or something) anyway, seeing as all I'm hearing is good I might have to go and download my digital version and listen to that this afternoon at work

:)

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I have a few of their albums - but never have given them a listen. I must find out what I am missing out on - what's the best place to start?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Start at Misplaced and make your way forward from there

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I used to be huge into them when Fish was with them, then H joined and I admit I didn't give them much of a chance until Brave came out. That for me I feel is their greatest work ~ an absolute gem of a concept album that I would probably pick over Marbles.

Haven't listened to any of the Fish-era stuff for well over 10 years. I think that Steve Hogarth is a better lyricist, musician and you can't beat him as a performer. I have the 'Brave Live 2013' DVD and he's just captivating to watch, you can tell he pours his heart and soul into every song and every performance.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Like a lot of prog bands they seem to have terrible vocalists, I just can't get into that kind of vocal sound :( Rush are probably the worst for it!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

HackSaw wrote:I have a few of their albums - but never have given them a listen. I must find out what I am missing out on - what's the best place to start?
Best Fish-era albums:
Misplaced Childhood
Clutching At Straws

Best Hogarth albums:
Brave
Marbles
F.E.A.R.

Worth a listen:
Sounds That Can't Be Made
Happiness Is the Road (Vol I & II)

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

If you're a fan of Fish era (which I am) then The B-Sides Themselves is a great album, it includes the 18 minute epic Grendal.

Also the live album The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) is good as well.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

sty wrote:If you're a fan of Fish era (which I am) then The B-Sides Themselves is a great album, it includes the 18 minute epic Grendal.

Also the live album The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) is good as well.
B-Sides Themselves started it all for me, it was the first ever album-cassette I bought I think when I was around 12yrs old.

If you can find it, The Thieving Magpie is very similar to their 'Live From Lorelay' DVD. A great show and I wore out my VHS I had the original on lol.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: If you can find it, The Thieving Magpie is very similar to their 'Live From Lorelay' DVD. A great show and I wore out my VHS I had the original on lol.
haha, was trying to decide between the two :)

FYI