calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 852 times
Been liked: 272 times

Re: Review: Ernie Ball Slinky M-Steel 10s

Post by calling card »

Without any research...would the M-steel be as in mild steel? that would explain your findings.

edit; 2 mins later.... ah I see https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-string ... ngs#P02921

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by LucyTheSpud »

MattH wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:
MattH wrote: Bloody expensive working your way through different strings to find out what you like.
Bloody expensive rusting through 2 sets a week too xD

Also i find elixirs to be a bit less bright, but they stay that way for a lot longer. Most strings i find lose the brightness after only 20 minutes of play or so. Elixirs stay the same for weeks.
Yeah - they're a doozy. Saved me a fortune. Not to mention time!
Especially with a bigsby. Curious about the new Gretsch guitars with a string through bigsby. Especially the new Junior White Falcon.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

TBH I bounce between the slightly more expensive black packs of D'Addario NY's and their regular packs. Can't tell a huge amount of difference between the two of them, but like Molly I can't remember the last time I snapped one. Get good mileage out of them as well.

Tried GHS a few months back and they were awful, dull in about a week.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Another vote for Elixirs, on all my guitars, tried everything else and nothing compares, altho' I actually quite liked the Dunlop strings I tried once! NYXL's were good, but not Elixir good.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

I've been using D'addarios now since I discovered I can get them in bulk from 'murica for about A$4 a set at my door so 20 sets a time makes good sense, and because I like a wound G on an 11-49 set. I was using EB in the UK because they had a wound G and were cheap as chips, but they don't seem to export the set I want unless it's at a premium.
When I was gigging, I'd use a set every second night because, like one or two others, my sweat ain't kind to 'em, and they lost their zip real fast!
Never tried Elixers; never, ever seen the need.
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Molly wrote:That sucks. Were they old stock?

I've all but given up on D'Addario too. Had been wondering what to go with after decades on that brand. Lately they just sound dull as shit.
Just to make a liar of me, the set of 11s I put on my SG the other day ring like a feckin' bell!

Inconsistent guitar strings. Such a First World problem.