Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Sabbath!

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Went to the gig last night. Utterly awesome. Loved it. When they cracked into Children of the Grave to finish the set I was up the front like a grubby teenager. Caught myself one of Tony's picks!

Ozzy was mostly pretty good, but a bit pitchy on Hand of Doom. The video animations were pretty laughable - looked like a cut scene out of Tekken 3... Didn't think much of the support act either, though the guy did have a lot of cool guitars - and insisted on changing for every single song... Iommi on the other hand stuck to the Old Boy for every song bar one. #class.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Sabbath!

Post by sirvill »

So good eh! How good was Into the Void?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Caught both Auckland shows from the last tour. Ozzy was pretty spot on at the first show (the first show of the entire world tour too) but became a bit hit or miss at the second show. Guess he doesn't handle doing shows every other day too well.

Stoked that they played After Forever and Hand of Doom this time. Too bad they didn't play Sweet Leaf on both tours though.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

sirvill wrote:So good eh! How good was Into the Void?
So, so good!

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

Nice and slow, haha, I loved it.

Iommi has one of those economical effortless styles that i really admire too

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

godgrinder wrote:Caught both Auckland shows from the last tour. Ozzy was pretty spot on at the first show (the first show of the entire world tour too) but became a bit hit or miss at the second show. Guess he doesn't handle doing shows every other day too well.

Stoked that they played After Forever and Hand of Doom this time. Too bad they didn't play Sweet Leaf on both tours though.
Yeah, I was pretty happy with the selection. I thought it was cool that they played Behind the Wall of Sleep - such a good beat man. Thought Tommy whatsisname was awesome, even if Rat Salad was a bit long... needed to give the old fellas a break I suppose.

Can anyone tell me what the 3rd to last song was? The one where Iommi was playing the white guitar...

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Yeah, I was pretty happy with the selection. I thought it was cool that they played Behind the Wall of Sleep - such a good beat man. Thought Tommy whatsisname was awesome, even if Rat Salad was a bit long... needed to give the old fellas a break I suppose.

Can anyone tell me what the 3rd to last song was? The one where Iommi was playing the white guitar...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pU48U-Hfg[/youtube]

The session drummer did slightly better than last time I reckon. He sounded very rigid and "tight metal" last time. Probably have have loosen up a bit over time.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Ah right. Technical Ecstasy. That'll be why I didn't recognise it...

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

So I noticed that all the guitars he used looked the same, ie the Old Boy or a copy of the Old Boy.

He used a white one to round out the set, which must be in standard tuning (Dirty Women, Paranoid etc), which was white but in the same style as the main one.

He started with the red Old Boy one.

For the C# tuning stuff, did he switch to ANOTHER guitar done in the style of his number one, or did they just retune Old Boy to C#? Surely not!!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Wondering if I'll be able to hear Sabbath from my deck tonight. Might have to phone over and tell them to keep it bloody down :-)

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

"I can't fuckin hear you"
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

sirvill wrote:So I noticed that all the guitars he used looked the same, ie the Old Boy or a copy of the Old Boy.

He used a white one to round out the set, which must be in standard tuning (Dirty Women, Paranoid etc), which was white but in the same style as the main one.

He started with the red Old Boy one.

For the C# tuning stuff, did he switch to ANOTHER guitar done in the style of his number one, or did they just retune Old Boy to C#? Surely not!!
He doesn't use the original Old Boy live anymore, Jaydee made him a bunch of replicas.
You can buy one for ~2700 euros too:
http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/old_boy_relic.html

I'd love to get a right handed one with a left handed neck some day, that way all the crosses would be inverted, haha.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

godgrinder wrote: He doesn't use the original Old Boy live anymore, Jaydee made him a bunch of replicas.
Huh. How.... disappointing. Illusions shattered.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

It was heavenly for me. I'm beyond obsessed with this band. My only disappointment was not getting a shirt - I wanted the The End tour shirt, but didn't take any cash/card in... been looking online to find one, but it looks like I'm out of luck.

I loved the set, especially Snowblind, which is a favorite. Dirty Women sounded amazing live - I didn't recognise it at first, Technical Ecstasy not being an album I've listened to as much as the previous six. Ozzy said he was ashamed of Never Say Die, but I think it's much better than TE.

Geezer was solid - not very animated on stage, at all, but his playing was brilliant. Hearing that N.I.B intro was a mind blower, as was the drummers Rat Salad solo - very impressed with him, but would've been even better if Bill Ward was there. That shite about contractual issues is pathetic. Iommi sounded huge; great solos and those riffs just melted my face. Ozzy was good - more lively onstage than in 2013... he didn't get the high notes on Hand of Doom, but who cares, he was consistent everywhere else.

10/10 from me. One of the best memories I'll take to my grave.
Make Music Great Again

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Clanger wrote:but would've been even better if Bill Ward was there. That shite about contractual issues is pathetic.
Given his track record of having to quit the band or sit out of shows due to health issues I doubt he can actually do these tours. He had a heart attack right before the 1997 reunion tour and had to sit out of the first round of shows. If he had health issues 20 years ago I imagine it'd only be worse now.
Amps:

Rack stuff: