Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

New Maiden + MI rant

Post by Basket Case »

The new album, ' Book of Souls,' was released yesterday. Has anyone else listened to it yet? There's been a lot of hype about it so I was curious as to whether it would be the masterpiece it has been made out to be. After listening a couple of times I can say that it has some very good moments, but it's no Seventh Son. I think it could have been though if it was made 20 years ago...

Maiden's approach on their last few albums has been to record them 'live in the studio.' All credit to them- it takes a good band to pull that off; however, I think that decision has more to do with the business side of things than artistic integrity. It's a result of the demise of the record industry. There's no question that Maiden's later albums would be so much more pleasing to listen to if they took the time to get everyone's best take rather than going the 'live in the studio' route. There's a lot of sloppy playing to be heard and the sound quality is poor too. I guess it's a sign of the times where getting out of the studio as soon as you can, so you can get to touring and make some money, is the business model.

Are lacklustre albums a sign of the times as a result of the damage streaming and downloading is doing to artists? Is anyone likely to put the time in necessary to make something that will be revered in 40 years the way Dark Side of the Moon is now?

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: New Maiden + MI rant

Post by Scooter13 »

I think Final Frontier and this new album are effing fantastic. Definately takes more than several spins to get in to though (like most great albums IMO). But I'm a super fanboi. I rate Final Frontier as probably my 4th favourite Maiden album. I don't think the sound quality is poor at all either. Caveman Shirley is a great producer.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

I've only heard the latest single on the radio, sounded ok I guess.
Production quality didn't seem diminished in any way.

But tbh it didn't grab me like there old stuff.

Maiden was everything to me in the 80's.
Anything after Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son I can't really be bothered with.

As for the whole music industry/downloading hooha.....
No doubt it's had an influence.
But I can't see Maiden skimping on production quality because of it, Steve Harris wouldn't stand for it.
Plus they'd hardly have garage band funds to call upon to fund albums.
I have no doubt their album sales woulda fallen in recent years but that's probably due to a few factors ie: the downloading culture, people moving on to different music & my camp of only being into their earlier stuff.

Besides, I don't think album sales are the be-all end-all nowadays.
Their world tours sell out every year, THATS where the money is.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Scooter13 wrote:I think Final Frontier and this new album are effing fantastic. Definately takes more than several spins to get in to though (like most great albums IMO). But I'm a super fanboi. I rate Final Frontier as probably my 4th favourite Maiden album. I don't think the sound quality is poor at all either. Caveman Shirley is a great producer.
I have a feeling it will grow on me. I think Maiden have done some great work since the reunion. Dance of Death was shite but the others, particularly Brave New World, have been pretty epic IMO. Can't say I share your enthusiasm for Caveman's production. I think if Andy Sneap had been at the helm the album would sound incredible.
Last edited by Basket Case on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

higainer wrote:I've only heard the latest single on the radio, sounded ok I guess.
Production quality didn't seem diminished in any way.

But tbh it didn't grab me like there old stuff.
Actually, the single is probably the weakest song on the album. The rest is quite proggy.
But I can't see Maiden skimping on production quality because of it, Steve Harris wouldn't stand for it.
Actually, from what I've read, it sounds like he's largely responsible for the way their recent albums sound, which to a lot of people is not nearly as good as it could be.
Besides, I don't think album sales are the be-all end-all nowadays.
Their world tours sell out every year, THATS where the money is.
Yeah, that's my point. I don't think an album like Dark Side of the Moon would have been possible if there was no money in making records back in the 70s. Bands don't have the time, money or resources to be that anal about things.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

higainer wrote: Maiden was everything to me in the 80's.
Anything after Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son I can't really be bothered with.
This, for me. In fact, I draw the line at Powerslave/Live After Death...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I think the reality is the maiden that WAS in the 80's and the maiden that IS after bruce and adrian returned are to very different bands. I haven't seen any sign of them trying to recapture the past, instead they have transformed the band into what they see as progressive and "mature' (for lack of a better word)

I came to the conclusion a few albums ago that if you liked maiden in the 80's but don't like maiden in the 00 then you aren't going to like anything they do any more (from an album point of view).
I remember hearing The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg and thinking this is awesome so bought the album (amolod), listened to it the day I got it and thought this is great, but have never listen to it again. Partly because of having kids, so I don't have the time to really sit and listen to music the way I used to so things don't sink in like they use to and partly because I think their new stuff needs to be listen to as more than back ground music.

One thing I will say with the new single (and a lot of what seems to be since bruce came back) is I'm not a fan of the register bruce seems to be sing in (same goes for james hetfield)...it just gets a bit winey for me
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be