Moderator: Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1339 times
Been liked: 2075 times

Re: Foo Fighters Mt Smart

Post by GrantB »

hamo, I can also forgive them for the bland given how incredible C&S was, and those singles you allude to. Some of Sat night was actually, not good. Those really drawn out middle parts of songs for eg....street cred out the door.

I'm looking forward to Counting Crows in April, if only for the guitar tones.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

jeremyb wrote:QOTSA are overrated IMHO, I saw them live with NIN and to be honest after a few songs we left, was just horrible!

Oh interesting... that was one of my top five gigs ever probably!

Amazing how perceptions are different

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by hamo »

sirvill wrote:
jeremyb wrote:QOTSA are overrated IMHO, I saw them live with NIN and to be honest after a few songs we left, was just horrible!

They probably just turned it on for Wellington. :wink:

Actually, QOTSA came before NIN in Welly, which I reckon made a huge difference. I had been a bit bored by QOTSA at Soundwave, but loved them in Welly. Maybe they are just less consistent?
*UNIQUE* wrote:hamo, I can also forgive them for the bland given how incredible C&S was, and those singles you allude to. Some of Sat night was actually, not good. Those really drawn out middle parts of songs for eg....street cred out the door.

I'm looking forward to Counting Crows in April, if only for the guitar tones.
I kind of wonder how much being a muso affects your appreciation of a gig? I know when some of us are sitting there going "come on, get on with it", others are going "holy shit, how do they do that?!" It's like how normal people can't listen to Steve Vai albums... :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

hamo wrote:
sirvill wrote:

They probably just turned it on for Wellington. :wink:

Actually, QOTSA came before NIN in Welly, which I reckon made a huge difference. I had been a bit bored by QOTSA at Soundwave, but loved them in Welly. Maybe they are just less consistent?
Actually I went to Chch and Wellington (bought chch tickets before they announced the Wellington gig.

IMO they were actually a bit better in Christchurch.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

I was hoping like hell that NIN went on first in chch and was so pleased I didn't have to sit thru QOTSA!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote: I get being disappointed with a band, but I never really get how that breeds antipathy or animosity (not really aiming that at you DM, just a general observation).
For me it's because I enjoy the band itself as much as the music, in that if I find an album I really like, I want to know about the band, the members, the history, the other albums, the gear they use, go see them live, buy the t-shirts and posters and be a bit of a fanboi. I get passionate about the bands I listen to, if asked what kind of music I listen to I reply with band names. It's like I kind of use them to define part of who I am, so when one of my favourites starts to suck, it pisses me off and my reaction to that is the animosity you talk of.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Danger Mouse wrote:
hamo wrote: I get being disappointed with a band, but I never really get how that breeds antipathy or animosity (not really aiming that at you DM, just a general observation).
For me it's because I enjoy the band itself as much as the music, in that if I find an album I really like, I want to know about the band, the members, the history, the other albums, the gear they use, go see them live, buy the t-shirts and posters and be a bit of a fanboi. I get passionate about the bands I listen to, if asked what kind of music I listen to I reply with band names. It's like I kind of use them to define part of who I am, so when one of my favourites starts to suck, it pisses me off and my reaction to that is the animosity you talk of.
Same, or used to anywho. When RHCP put out californication i was freakin' ropeable. I dont think i've had as strong an affinity to a band since.

Some might say that's because it was 2000 at the time, and all the good music came out in the 90s. Which also plays into DMs tale somewhat. Ponderous.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by hamo »

stuu wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
Same, or used to anywho. When RHCP put out californication i was freakin' ropeable. I dont think i've had as strong an affinity to a band since.

Some might say that's because it was 2000 at the time, and all the good music came out in the 90s. Which also plays into DMs tale somewhat. Ponderous.
Hmm. Maybe it's a personality thing. When The Phantom Menace came out I was royally pissed and mucho disappointed, but I didn't stop loving the real Star Wars or hating George Lucas. But I guess a lot of people did.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote: Hmm. Maybe it's a personality thing. When The Phantom Menace came out I was royally pissed and mucho disappointed, but I didn't stop loving the real Star Wars or hating George Lucas. But I guess a lot of people did.
Mmmm thats like me and metallica, pretty much black album onwards is another band entirely, I still love the early stuff :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:
hamo wrote: Hmm. Maybe it's a personality thing. When The Phantom Menace came out I was royally pissed and mucho disappointed, but I didn't stop loving the real Star Wars or hating George Lucas. But I guess a lot of people did.
Mmmm thats like me and metallica, pretty much black album onwards is another band entirely, I still love the early stuff :)
Great albums are still great albums, even if the band that made them aren't anymore. I still listen to what turned me onto the bands in the first place, I just won't count them in the list of bands I like.

The Cult - Electric
The Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Soundgarden - Bad Motor Finger
QOTSA - Song for the Deaf
G'n'R - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Megadeth - Peace Sells...
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

All of those are albums I still listen to, none of those are bands I'd count myself as a fan of anymore.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

hamo wrote:
Hmm. Maybe it's a personality thing. When The Phantom Menace came out I was royally pissed and mucho disappointed, but I didn't stop loving the real Star Wars or hating George Lucas. But I guess a lot of people did.
By the time Phantom Menace came out you needed a VHS to ever see the real Star Wars again. No DVD edition was released unmolested.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

stuu wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:

Californication was '99 bro
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

Correct you are, sir.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1339 times
Been liked: 2075 times

Post by GrantB »

Siamese Dream...that was a real game changer for me too
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

How can you be pissed at Californication?
Loving it so far