Moderator: Capt. Black

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Def Leppard/Heart, Vector Arena

Post by badmotor »

Some Bozo wrote:
werdna wrote:The only dodgy moment was choosing to do a cover of The Voice by John Farnham. It was perfectly well played, and while it might go down a treat with our poodle haired mates across the Tasman, but it means nothing here.
That was a humoungous hit here too back in the day, though one best forgotten. I see one of the writers is someone called Qunta. I think that says a lot :lol:
I remember they made us sing that song in assembly at intermediate, along with other classics like "Red Rubber Ball" and "16 tonnes". Ah... school in the 80s...
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Taylor
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Taylor »

Vorbis wrote:I was at the 90's show they did. They opened with StageFright, and did the Acoustic "bringin' on". I think they finished with "Animal" or "Pour", which was a bit concerning because we were down the front and the entire crowd surged forward when they did those songs. Squishy.

Sounds like not much has changed huh?
Nah... The audience has changed unfortunately. It was awkward when Joe tried to get the crowd to sing along to songs 'cos nobody knew the lyrics so whenever he pointed the microphone at us it just went silent. I was right up the front and there was no moshing or dancing at all. I think I was the only person in my area shouting encore after they did Pour Some Sugar on Me. I think they really noticed it too 'cos they finished by saying: "Don't forget about us Auckland". Oh well.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

I wished they had played High n Dry, perhaps the best song they have ever done. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rglNWbEm0xM[/youtube]

Enjoy!
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

werdna wrote:I wished they had played High n Dry, perhaps the best song they have ever done. Enjoy!
Also the one that sounds least like Def Leppard :lol: It's very ACDC
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

Some Bozo, you are onto something there.

I love the Mutt Lange productions on Pyromania and Hysteria, but the first two DL albums are rockier.

Some of that must be down to guitarist Pete Willis, who co-wrote their best material up to and including Pyromania.

Before the concert last night they played some music over the pa, and when For Those About to Rock came on, it was the best song of the whole evening.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Another rock-acceptable Lep song
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxKHWeOcl0U[/youtube]
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Some Bozo wrote:
werdna wrote:The only dodgy moment was choosing to do a cover of The Voice by John Farnham. It was perfectly well played, and while it might go down a treat with our poodle haired mates across the Tasman, but it means nothing here.
That was a humoungous hit here too back in the day, though one best forgotten. I see one of the writers is someone called Qunta. I think that says a lot :lol:
cut away the publishing tricks to get money to other people who helped get Farnham to cover this song...and you will find it was written by one Chris Thompson, an ex Hamilton muso who sang for Manfred Mann..think "Blinded by the Light".

great song and Chris sang it everybit as well as Farnham...so there is a kiwi connection after all!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

I'm not sure I understand OP's viewpoint.

Def Leppard are an unapologetically cheesy 80's hair band. That's the appeal. That's why most people went to the concert. That's why Phil Collen shredded the fuck out of his solos while wearing no shirt. That's why there was a cheesy acoustic set in the middle of the show. It was cheesy. It was 80's. It was a hair band.

I'm pretty sure the juxtaposition between shirtless, pointy guitared, shreddy Phil and suited, Les Paul slinging, melodic Vivian was on purpose. I appreciated the effect.

In all, it was a great show. Not sure what the gripe was about Heart singing "You're the Voice". Led Zep aren't from NZ, yet Heart covered their songs.

Ah well, I thought it was fucking badass.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

Last edited by nzsimon1 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Howard Leese?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

tony veitch?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time