The Ocean Collective @ Club Tavern, CHCH

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 14 times

The Ocean Collective @ Club Tavern, CHCH

Post by Sinbad343 »

I only found out about this gig at the last minute, but I’m bloody glad I did! Any of you on here go to the gig, or the Welly/Auckland ones?

I had seen The Ocean years ago, and have a couple of their records which are great. But I must admit, I hadn’t really listened to them for a while; I certainly will again I reckon. Very impressive, awesome sound (credit to the band and the engineer), and the band themselves seemed really genuine, nice dudes.

So yes they were awesome, epic, huge, etc. etc. but the main act aside, the lineup as a whole was great. Each support band were both complementary and unique, and ok, perhaps they might not be to everyone’s taste, but I think it demonstrated how strong the local music scene is - goes to show that I need to get out to more shows and get amongst it! I also found it inspiring, and whilst it is always fun to play with one’s self (ahem), I now have the urge to get jamming, and I’ve realised how much I miss being in a band and playing LOUD!

Anyway, I just felt like sharing that for some reason! And if any of the guys in the bands are on here, hi, and keep up the good work :thumbup: Cheers!

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: The Ocean Collective @ Club Tavern, CHCH

Post by sirvill »

Yeah I went to the Wellington show - I love the Ocean, was a very very good show.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Fourth time seeing them (first 2 times were back in 2011). They are using powered KPA's into cabs now but I think it sounded a bit gutless compared to when they were using Triaxis +2:90...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Loved Caribbean Queen
Disappointed no When the Going Gets Tough
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

godgrinder wrote:Fourth time seeing them (first 2 times were back in 2011). They are using powered KPA's into cabs now but I think it sounded a bit gutless compared to when they were using Triaxis +2:90...

Interesting... I thought it sounded awesome, but then again I wear earplugs so that takes some of the oomph off everything

Weirdly though the venue sound was relatively quiet for all bands at Valhalla, I almost coulda gone without the plugs

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sinbad343 »

sirvill wrote:
godgrinder wrote:Fourth time seeing them (first 2 times were back in 2011). They are using powered KPA's into cabs now but I think it sounded a bit gutless compared to when they were using Triaxis +2:90...

Interesting... I thought it sounded awesome, but then again I wear earplugs so that takes some of the oomph off everything

Weirdly though the venue sound was relatively quiet for all bands at Valhalla, I almost coulda gone without the plugs
I agree, I thought it sounded awesome too! Although, I can't really draw a comparison with their previous live sound as it was over ten years ago. Ten years ago, jeez...

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sinbad343 »

foal30 wrote:Disappointed no When the Going Gets Tough
Everybody left disappointed - it's a crowd favourite