G'N'F'N'R'S NZ Tour

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: G'N'F'N'R'S NZ Tour

Post by Polar Bear »

Poncho x2 acquired.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

At this rate you'll need a fucking life jacket.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

sizzlingbadger wrote:At this rate you'll need a fucking life jacket.
Can't argue with that. If I die, please don't disclose what I paid for any of my gear to my wife.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Polar Bear wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:At this rate you'll need a fucking life jacket.
Can't argue with that. If I die, please don't disclose what I paid for any of my gear to my wife.
Sign it over to me and I promise not to tell her!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Dang that was a cold night! Good show once the wind stopped swirling the sound around, very odd up until that point like it was all running through a phaser.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

chur wrote:Dang that was a cold night! Good show once the wind stopped swirling the sound around, very odd up until that point like it was all running through a phaser.

mmmmm phaser
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Brief review:

TL;DR version: totally worth it, but don't expect much from Axl in terms of his ability to keep up/hit notes.

Slightly longer version: I paid $69 for my ticket, in the stands off to the right, but with a great view and at the stage end of the stadium, so nice and close. This has made me feel like I got amazing value for money.

Wolfmother are a band I like, and they were solid if unspectacular. Lots of obvious effort in their performance, but not really dominating the stage, if that makes sense. All about the music, rather than putting on a show.

The main event came across as surprisingly professional, given Axl's reputation. They all played nicely together, although Slash and Axl seemed to be tolerating each other rather than hugging it out. The sound was poos really, but that's less about the band and more about the stadium and the conditions I think. Slash is a powerhouse, smashing a 2.5 hour set with barely a break. How these guys can play like this in the rain, soaking wet and wind blown, is beyond me. It was nice to see Axl, Slash and Duff together, RIchard Fortus fit in well too. No idea who the drummer was, but he looked like a pirate.

Axl changed his outfit about 6 times, which is about 5 times less than Slash and Fortus changed guitars. Slash rocked a couple of LPs, a Mock and 2 Bichs, an 18 string SG and what looked to be a double neck Schecter maybe - the shape reminded me of a Tempest, but I'm not confident on that. Fortus seemed to be more in the Gretsch camp, but apart from a White Falcon, I was less confident identifying his guitars. Duff stuck with the same bass all night, with a Prince symbol decal on the body.

The set list was great, all the songs you wanted to hear, and not much of what you didn't. A couple of decent covers, and they spun out the instrumental/solos in Coma, Rocket Queen and Knockin On Heaven's Door a fair bit, possibly to give Axl a rest.

Decent crowd in, although I heard a rumour that they were giving tickets away at the Green Man pub on the night. Overall: totally worth the effort, especially at the GrabOne price I paid. No tantrums, no pissing the crowd about, and a solid rock and roll show. A++, would trade again.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

hamo wrote:Brief review:

TL;DR version: totally worth it, but don't expect much from Axl in terms of his ability to keep up/hit notes.

Slightly longer version: I paid $69 for my ticket, in the stands off to the right, but with a great view and at the stage end of the stadium, so nice and close. This has made me feel like I got amazing value for money.

Wolfmother are a band I like, and they were solid if unspectacular. Lots of obvious effort in their performance, but not really dominating the stage, if that makes sense. All about the music, rather than putting on a show.

The main event came across as surprisingly professional, given Axl's reputation. They all played nicely together, although Slash and Axl seemed to be tolerating each other rather than hugging it out. The sound was poos really, but that's less about the band and more about the stadium and the conditions I think. Slash is a powerhouse, smashing a 2.5 hour set with barely a break. How these guys can play like this in the rain, soaking wet and wind blown, is beyond me. It was nice to see Axl, Slash and Duff together, RIchard Fortus fit in well too. No idea who the drummer was, but he looked like a pirate.

Axl changed his outfit about 6 times, which is about 5 times less than Slash and Fortus changed guitars. Slash rocked a couple of LPs, a Mock and 2 Bichs, an 18 string SG and what looked to be a double neck Schecter maybe - the shape reminded me of a Tempest, but I'm not confident on that. Fortus seemed to be more in the Gretsch camp, but apart from a White Falcon, I was less confident identifying his guitars. Duff stuck with the same bass all night, with a Prince symbol decal on the body.

The set list was great, all the songs you wanted to hear, and not much of what you didn't. A couple of decent covers, and they spun out the instrumental/solos in Coma, Rocket Queen and Knockin On Heaven's Door a fair bit, possibly to give Axl a rest.

Decent crowd in, although I heard a rumour that they were giving tickets away at the Green Man pub on the night. Overall: totally worth the effort, especially at the GrabOne price I paid. No tantrums, no pissing the crowd about, and a solid rock and roll show. A++, would trade again.
Great review :)
:mental:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Olderama wrote:

Great review :)
Cheers! :D

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

Firstly, the double neck is a Guild, custom built for him around the Illusion era.

I was down on the pitch, and the sound was really good, especially considering the horrendous conditions.

I would add, that Axl was easily the best I've ever seen live, from any footage. He was never out of breath, and when the time was right, he held some massive notes.

Totally agree with Slash being a monster, he absolutely killed it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Oh man is he playing the green Guild double neck with the acoustic 12 string half? Yes.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

slash-ed wrote:Oh man is he playing the green Guild double neck with the acoustic 12 string half? Yes.
The black one.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:

Firstly, the double neck is a Guild, custom built for him around the Illusion era.

I was down on the pitch, and the sound was really good, especially considering the horrendous conditions.

I would add, that Axl was easily the best I've ever seen live, from any footage. He was never out of breath, and when the time was right, he held some massive notes.

Thanks man. I figured maybe the sound was related to where we were, we surmised it would have been better out front. I felt like Axl's vocals were less prominent in the mix, which made it harder to hear how he was going. I did notice him hitting some of the notes that I thought he might not go for early on, but it also seemed like he didn't go for the ones at the end of You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

I think Axls tour with ACDC made him a bit more professional, they don't seem the type to put up with his old shite

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

hamo wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:

Thanks man. I figured maybe the sound was related to where we were, we surmised it would have been better out front. I felt like Axl's vocals were less prominent in the mix, which made it harder to hear how he was going. I did notice him hitting some of the notes that I thought he might not go for early on, but it also seemed like he didn't go for the ones at the end of You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry.
Seemed to hit pretty much everything, and 'This I Love' from Chinese Democracy requires some unbelievable chops to pull off, especially live.